Education Mentor (Future STEPS©)
We have launched a new service called Future STEPS© (Future Skills Talent Empowerment Progress Service) in Surrey. As part of Future STEPS© we are looking to recruit volunteers in the borough of Waverley / Guildford.
The main tasks will involve working with the Talent Coach in delivering interventions and providing advice and guidance on a number of issues including (but not limited to):
- education & training (including exclusion);
- contraception and sexual health;
- teenage pregnancy;
- drugs and alcohol;
- emotional health and well-being;
- mental health and
- family and relationships.
Volunteers will have knowledge of issues that affect young people and experience in coaching and mentoring.
The roles will be based across the entire Waverley / Guildford Borough, working with young people in the community who need support to reach their potential.
Full training on all specialist areas will be given to all Volunteers who demonstrate a core skill base and an attitude which is aligned to the values of Step by Step.
Future STEPS© volunteer opportunities involve working directly with young people alongside trained members of staff. Each opportunity provides volunteers with the chance to develop and draw on different skills and abilities.
As a Future STEPS© volunteer you will have the opportunity to access free Level 1 and Level 2 training in youth work which focuses on substance misuse and sexual health education as well as being fully trained in using our client record database and other IT equipment.
*All volunteers are required to be DBS checked (SbS will pay).
Young people that struggle to engage with school can face any number of barriers that prevent them from accessing education. As an Education Ambassador you would be supporting young people to overcome barriers to education and support the development of their talents and skills.
Direct contact tasks:
- Providing practical and emotional support to the Young Person
- Providing support to engage with education
- Providing support with further education advice
- Providing support with college/university application forms
- Support applying for grants & funding for courses
- Recording information on the Young person's record database
- Taking enquires from Young People and professionals
- Complying up to date funding grants and benefits support Lists
- Confident in using Microsoft Office & ICT
- Some knowledge of local and government funding grants and benefits
To become a mentor or to find out more, please call Dean: 07568109991 or Luke: 07803627396, or email: email@example.com