Counsellor Required, Guildford or Aldershot
What can Step by Step offer you?
- A basic salary is the full time equivalent of £24,780. There are up to 32 hours available, but we would be happy to have applications for 16 hours. Please note there is a 30 minute paid break included in the hours listed above.
- 25 days of paid holiday plus an 8-day Bank Holiday Allowance (will be pro-rata).
- Sleepover allowance.
- Training and development including opportunity to gain a funded qualification.
- Full training provided to all new team members.
- The opportunity for progression including opportunities at other locations.
- A company pension scheme with Royal London.
- Life Assurance.
- 24/7 access to online GP appointments.
- A health cash plan.
- Access to an employee assistance helpline.
- Access to a shopping benefit platform.
- Car Parking.
Who are we?
Step by Step (SBS) passionately believes in supporting young people who are going through hard times. Our unique step by step approach, providing accommodation, personal development opportunities and specialist support services, identifies and fulfils aspirations.
Each year we work with over 1,500 young people aged 11 – 25 and our counsellors play a vital role in delivering support to young people in our community.
Step by Step is part of an exciting new partnership delivering emotional wellbeing services to children and families in Surrey.
This is a new post.
The successful candidate will become part of a well-established counselling team, collectively supporting around 500 children, young people and families per year.
Flexibility in the role will be needed and there is likely to be late afternoon/evening work (until possibly 7pm or 8pm) and there may also be weekend work.
There will be travel within the counsellor's area. This will be discussed at the interview stage.
What would you be expected to do?
- Work in partnership with children, young people and families (CYPF) to agree, assess and plan interventions with a focus on supporting CYPF to self-manage and build resilience.
- Assess and deliver time-limited, clinically appropriate, outcome-focused interventions and one to one counselling to children and young people experiencing mild/moderate emotional wellbeing difficulties.
- Identify the need to involve other specialist services and professionals to support a young person and to liaise with external agencies where appropriate.
- Identify young people presenting with risk and complete appropriate risk management when required.
- Make decisions about modes of interventions in consultation with CYPF, the clinical supervisor and the service manager.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of legislation, local and national policies regarding children and young people’s mental health services.
- Undertake general administrative duties associated with the role and in the department when required on time. Ensuring high standards of verbal and written communication to all stakeholders. Ensuring that data collection and compliance standards have been met.
- Complete all relevant reports, outcome measures and case studies.
What is Step by Step looking for?
An individual who has:
- Experience of working with children or young people.
- A sound understanding of Safeguarding issues, roles and responsibilities.
- A relevant professional qualification in counselling at diploma level or equivalent mental health-related qualification.
- A professional body membership/registration.
- Kept informed and up to date professional practice, up to date continued professional development.
- Kept up to date with national and local initiatives, national guidelines and research-based practice.
- A full, valid driving licence and access to your own vehicle.
- This is a fixed term contract for 12 months.
You will be working within a professional practice framework and maintain professional standards in line with professional regulatory bodies (e.g. BACP, BABCP, NCS).
The successful candidate will be required to complete an enhanced DBS, along with satisfactory references. This is a fixed term contract for 12 months.
To apply for this role, please download and complete the application form and send to Michael.Hone@stepbystep.org.uk.
Back to Jobs
Download application form