Do you have a Spare Room?
Step by Step’s Supported Lodgings service helps young people, aged 16-21, into independent living by offering lodgings in a fully assessed, safe, and caring home environment. We currently offer Supported Lodgings in Hampshire, West Berkshire, and in Dorset.
Could you let your spare room to a young lodger?
Some young people who have been forced to leave home due to family problems, or who have been in care, find themselves struggling to cope alone. Step by Step and our team of Hosts bridge the gap between home, or being in care, and living independently.
Could you provide:
- A comfortable single room? Or a double room for a mother and baby?
- Emotional and practical support?
- Access to shared facilities; kitchen, bathroom, living area?
We are looking for Hosts in Hampshire, West Berkshire, and in Dorset, so get in touch today.
Inviting Andrew into our home was daunting, but once we’d got to know each other and established some boundaries, it turned out to be one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
Dawn, Supported Lodgings Host
Two of the girls have moved on to university, others have moved to independent living.
Karen, Supported Lodgings Host
I’ve been a host for 12 years, it’s fantastic.
Tony, Supported Lodgings Host
Most young people experience some difficulties when they leave their family home. In Britain the average age for leaving home is 23 which contrasts sharply with young people leaving the care of local authorities, where the age is generally only 16 or 17.
Teenagers who have been in care or have been forced to leave home due to family problems often find themselves struggling to cope alone. Many lack the confidence and basic skills to live independently. Without the support of a family, the experience can be truly traumatic.
Through our Supported Lodgings placements, 82% of young people are able to progress positively in their lives.
We need Hosts from all walks of life.
Are you a good listener, non-judgemental, and caring? Could you develop a young person’s confidence, improve their everyday life skills, and support them to be more independent? Do you enjoy the company of young people, like taking on rewarding challenges, and want to make a difference in people’s lives?
We will support you every step of the way by providing:
- training courses run by experienced staff, to prepare you for the role.
- a carefully and sensitively matched placement for both you, and the young person.
- the opportunity to meet the young person before they move in.
- structured support throughout the move in.
- your own Step by Step support worker, as well as 24 hour help and support.
- ongoing training, mentoring, advice and guidance.
- monthly financial support for each young person living with you.
Our Work So Far
of young people progress through Supported Lodgings.
of the young people we support become work ready.
young people accessed accommodation, specialist support, and personal development services last year.
Contact our Supported Lodgings team to find out more